5 ways to be a business ninja in getting to the heart of your business
I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about brand story. I’m not the only one, to be fair. Throw a virtual stick at the internet and it will hit someone talking about the best way to craft your brand story. Narratives, plot archetypes, dramatic summits, thematic conundrums… it can get a little complicated to tell a simple story. *Ouch!* Sorry. Someone just threw a stick at me.
So I thought I would perhaps start you off with a little tool I like to call Halve it to the Heart to get close to the heart of what your business stands for, which is the heart of your story, after all.
- Get 16 Post-it Notes or squares of paper in front of you and a felt tip or Sharpie (other brands of markers that stay on your hands and clothes for months are available). On each one, write a word or short phrase that represents what your business is all about.
- Review your 16 Post-its. Now take away the 8 Post-its that are not critical, leaving just the 8 words or phrases that truly sum up what your business is about.
- Review your 8 Post-its. Now take away the 4 Post-its that are not critical, leaving just the 4 words or phrases that truly sum up what your business is about. Honestly, you can do this.
- Review your 4 Post-Its. Yes, you’ve guessed it. Take away the 2 Post-its that are not critical, leaving just the 2 words or phrases that truly sum up what your business is about.
- Ta-da. You are now staring at the true heart of what your business really stands for. This is a great tool to help you start thinking about the absolute essence of what you should be talking about when you talk about your business.
Halve it to the Heart is a great tool to run as a team – firstly, get each team member to do this exercise on their own. Then bring the two Post-its from each person together and as a group, keep halving them until you are again left with two.
If you would like some help to tell your brand story in a compelling, engaging way, The Business Allotment can help. Contact us today, check out our Brand and Deliver module, or our new Business Growth Package.